Lowest Ever

January 17, 2009

The CBS/NY Times poll puts Bush at 22% approval, the lowest ever:

“President Bush will leave office as one of the most unpopular departing presidents in history, according to a new CBS News/New York Times poll showing Mr. Bush’s final approval rating at 22 percent.

Seventy-three percent say they disapprove of the way Mr. Bush has handled his job as president over the last eight years.

Mr. Bush’s final approval rating is the lowest final rating for an outgoing president since Gallup began asking about presidential approval more than 70 years ago. ”

Gallup began polling on this question in 1938, during the Roosevelt administration. Truman was the only other president to hit 22%, in February 1952, but he rebounded to 32% (the previous record before Bush came along) before leaving office. Clinton left office with 68% approval (tied with Reagan). Even Carter, who is remembered as being wildly unpopular, left office with a 44% approval rating.

Then there’s this:

“Views of Mr. Bush’s popularity are highly partisan. Only 6 percent of Democrats approve of the job he has done as president, while 57 percent of Republicans approve. Eighteen percent of independents approve. ”

Putting aside how astounding it is that a solid majority of Republicans believe this guy did at worst an ok job, I think what’s most noteworthy here is the giant gap between Republicans and independents. Remember that the Republicans are the party of the average guy, while the Democrats are off in the elitist clouds. So apparently independents are either (a) elitists too, or (b) under some sort of Democratic voodoo spell. Seriously, for how much longer can the mainstream media continue to pretend that the Republicans represent the typical, regular, Joe-Six-Pack, flyover-state, Bud-Light Americans? I suppose for about as long as they can continue to pretend that white rural rednecks who work in the agricultural sector represent the average American. Take a look at this outlandish Washington Post article for Exhibit A.

 

picture-41

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: